Saturday, September 17, 2011

My inner city garden allotment begins


Wikipedia says of  the site of my inner city garden allotment  “Tanera Park lies to the north and north-west of Central Park on the opposite side of Ohiro Road. The park has sports facilities, including soccer, cricket, and artificial surfaces as well as changing-rooms.”
 
It also has a dog exercise area beside land the Wellington City Council ( 1991) set aside for inner-city people to grow their own vegetables. The Tanera Community Gardens have some 33 plots and I’m the newest person to have acquired a spot!

Unfortunately I didn’t take photos of the overgrown area, but this is what it looked like after my daughter and her partner weeded and turned it over.

Coming from Christchurch, where I have lived and gardened most of my life, it was a surprise to have such heavy and wet soil - even though my inner city garden allotment is on a sunny slope -   and here, in wetter and windier Wellington, I’m sure I will need to use a few different gardening techniques to those I know – it will be trial and error, and getting advice from my fellow allotment gardeners.

Naturally there will be more to follow, so sign up for updates (top right hand side of this page), or bookmark me and keep coming back for news of my successes or failures … of course I’m open to advice from other Wellington gardeners, so, leave a comment for me

                                         Gardening with great views of Wellington Harbour